Steam Moves, Explained

steam moves
August 23, 2022

If you're looking to make some serious money betting on sports, then you need to be paying attention to steam moves. What are steam moves, you ask? Simply put, they are big bets that come in late and move the line significantly. 

Bettors usually make these large wagers when they have a lot of information about the game that the general public doesn't know. 

So, how can you spot a steam move and capitalize on it? In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about steam moves for online sports betting!

What Are Steam Moves?

Steaming odds have set a new betting line high. The term "steaming odds" does not come with a whistle, rather it relates to betting odds that fluctuate abruptly at almost every sportsbook. When sharps and/or syndicates bet significantly on one side of a betting line, a steam move occurs.

For example, let's say that there is a big college football game between two evenly matched teams. The betting line is set at even money, with each team being given a 50% chance of winning. 

Suddenly, late in the week, a large bet comes in on one of the teams. This causes the odds on that team to drop to 45%, while the odds on their opponent increase to 55%. This late bet is an example of a steam move.

The reason that it's called a "steam move" is because it causes the betting line to "steam" in one direction. In other words, the line moves quickly in one direction due to the large bet. 

How Can You Spot A Steam Move?

Spotting a steam move can be difficult, but there are a few things that you can look out for. First of all, you need to be aware of any late bets that come in on the game. 

If there is a sudden influx of money on one team, then this could be an indication that a steam move is happening. 

Another thing to look out for is sharp changes in the betting line. If the line moves significantly in one direction, then this is a good indication that a steam move is happening. 

Of course, the best way to spot a steam move is to have access to inside information. If you know something about the game that the general public doesn't, then you'll be in a much better position to capitalize on a steam move. 

How Can You Profit From A Steam Move?

There are a few different ways that you can profit from a steam move. First of all, you can bet on the team that the large bet was placed on. 

If you think that the bettor has inside information and knows something that the general public doesn't, then this could be a good way to make some money. 

Another way to profit from a steam move is to bet on the other team. If you think that the large bet is a result of public perception and not actual inside information, then betting on the other team could be a good way to make money. 

Of course, the best way to profit from a steam move is to have your own inside information. If you know something about the game that nobody else does, then you'll be in a great position to make some serious money.

Conclusion

To summarize, we do not blindly follow any specific betting strategy and make use of every available instrument. While following steam is vital, combining betting trends data, sharp money triggers, and hunting for the optimal line can optimize value without exposing your bankroll to too many wagers pending at the same time.

Now that you know everything about steam moves, it's time to put this knowledge into practice. Keep an eye out for steam moves and you could be making some serious profits!

0
Betslip